Off to a Good Start
Cooperation between home and school is essential. The teachers would appreciate your help with the following:
- Develop the habit of reading to your child for about 15 minutes every day.
- Make sure that the school uniform is worn daily.
- Label all school clothing and belongings with the child’s name and room number.
- Notify your child’s teacher if another child’s belongings are brought home by mistake, and send them back.
- Allow plenty of time before school for breakfast and toileting.
- Help your child to form the habit of getting to school on time.
- Get acquainted with his/her teacher. Plan to attend meetings that will be held.
- Check each evening to see if any notes/notices have been sent home in your child’s book-bag.
- Send money in envelopes with your child’s name, room number, amount enclosed, and what the money is to be used for (example: field trip, various fundraising).
- Show your child how to zip, button, and snap clothing and how to tie shoes.
- Teach your child his/her full name, address, telephone number and birthday.
- Show him/her the safest route from home to school.
- Help your child to learn to listen.
- Develop good eating habits.
- Establish an early bedtime with a quiet time before retiring.
- Limit the amount and types of TV programs that your child watches.
- Please discuss what your child sees on TV with him/her.
- Stress the proper grip when holding crayons, markers and pencils.
- Encourage your child to think for himself/herself.
- Develop responsibility for care of toys and other belongings.
- Help your child to develop good manners.
- Please do not do everything for your child. Allow him/her some freedom to develop independence and to make choices.